What makes it so difficult for us to agree with the results of the research on pro-social spending that was presented in the lesson?

Inicio Foros Course Forums Happiness 1. Sharing or Hoarding: What Makes Me Happy? What makes it so difficult for us to agree with the results of the research on pro-social spending that was presented in the lesson?

KabU
    Partícipe

What makes it so difficult for us to agree with the results of the research on pro-social spending that was presented in the lesson?

Ver publicaciones de 6 de - 1 a 6 (del total de 35)
  • Autor(a)
    Respuestas
      Zied
      Partícipe

It depends on the person. I won’t be happy to give my money to a thief for example. I will feel idiot

peter
      Partícipe

I agree fully as I always want to give however it generally is when I feel I have more than what I need

Rune T. A.
      Partícipe

Well, I think that to agree with theese results, one has to have felt the joy of giving and/or have to have contemplated a great deal about what it is we call love. In other words, the results must somehow resonate with something inside of us, a part of us if you will, in order to recognize the truth of it.

And if you believe that the universe was a lucky coincidence and that we are nothing but atoms, then the results of the research is almost, if not completely, without consequence to ones perception of life. Even if it had an impact on, say a billionaire’s thought process, then he might begin to give away his wealth to try and gain some personal happiness, only to find that the happiness that stems from his efforts is as fleeting as every other corporeal pleasure.

So the bottom line, to me, must be that without a sense of “some greater purpose to life”, the results of the research can not penetrate through the ego and reach ones heart.

Jack Davidsen
      Partícipe

I think the main reason why it doesn’t work is: Egoism.

As an extension to egoism follows: Insufficient information (which also has its root in Egoism).

That egoism reigns almost completely unopposed stems from a lack of understanding. People still believe egoism will get them what they need and that it is necessary to be egoistic if you don’t want to be taken advantage of.

Research, and availability of information about the results of research, are so significant. The most important research information that is available, is Information about the Teachings of Kabbalah – which represents a problem in itself because the level of egoism and entitlement today is unprecedented and has a way of making people think they already know everything they need to know. So why look for spiritual information, or listen to people who encourage you to do so, if you already think you know what you need to know, and are too scared to deviate from this way of thinking… A way of thinking that is simple and doesn’t require you to present with any level of humility in order to learn something more, that is equally necessary?

Another thing that makes it difficult for us to agree with the results of research on pro-social spending is that we aren’t told about those results. We may sometimes be told that this or that pro-social spending has been decided to be carried out because experts find them valid, but we aren’t provided with much in terms of the reasons for their validity.

Governments of today do not trust that their populations can understand what the research is telling us, or of making informed decisions based on the information about these results that we might, and could, be given.

And so the mutual mistrust widens the gap between people throughout the spectrum, from the poorest to the most wealthy and powerful, and everybody resorts to ‘Me, Me, Me’ instead of ‘We, We, We’.

Purity K
      Partícipe

The lack of love and caring for one another and wanting everything for oneself by all means necessary even at the expense of others.

Eva
      Partícipe

I find it easy to agree. I find a great joy of spending time and effort to understand people, listen to them and bring comfort into their lives by being present in very difficult situations; this goes beyond spending money, I just have to be conscious that money is a tool, an energy resource that flows to support me with this type of joy. I have to have the ability, strength,  health to make the money, and then use it as a fuel for supporting me in finding the joy in connection. Still egoistic, I know, but discovered this joy “by accident” as a grocery store worker about 10 years ago (story available if anybody interested 😉) and keeps developing as my job now is supporting people with disabilities and their families in everyday life,  connecting and practicing empathy, compassion, understanding, strength and problem solving through observation in everyday situation. Parallel to that, I am attempting building our broken family back together – adult children gone in wrong ways, painfully realizing what I lacked as a parent when they were younger, thinking I was giving them good parenting. Luckily I have my husband as “partner in crime” 100% and have the mutual support for each other in this difficult situation. It all comes down to me, that there is a deep joy in seeing human development where it is almost impossible, also seeking out connections – egoistically of course, I know – where I feel safe to build strength and goodness through vulnerability, and always moving away from situations where that is not possible … haha, desire to receive in full action! Desire to give it away and share it even greater! Looking forward what comes next.

Ver publicaciones de 6 de - 1 a 6 (del total de 35)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.