Can you share a moment in life where you felt you acted like the “prison guard” in the Stanford Prison Experiment?

New Home Forums Course Forums Crossroads Film Course #2: WHO ARE WE? Can you share a moment in life where you felt you acted like the “prison guard” in the Stanford Prison Experiment?

KabU
    Participant

Can you share a moment in life where you felt you acted like the “prison guard” in the Stanford Prison Experiment?

Viewing 6 posts - 7 through 12 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies
      Richard Lively
      Participant

Being a parent gives this effect.  It indeed empowers one over another person.  And one has to clearly be fair and its not always easy to be.  Eventually there is a pecking order where the child is simply a child and what the parent says go.  It doesnt always stay this way but it can morph this way rapidly based on any discrepancies of disagreement especially when there is a dominance issue being challenged from one who is maturing.

zohreh
      Participant

In all life scenes, such as type of family upbringing, choice of field of study, type of marriage, choice of university field, choice of job, time of childbearing, type and level of family and social life, time of retirement

Jan Koons
      Participant

I can

Tracey
      Participant

I, too, am a teacher. In my undergraduate classes, I always feel as though I am trying to strike a balance – if I am too soft, then students do not complete their assigned tasks or do as well; if I am too tough, I start to feel like a guard in the SPE. One can never go too far in one direction or the other, else we risk getting out of balance. One thing we learn from the SPE is that we need oversight from many different persons with different points of view. It was only when ‘outsiders’ came and had a look at what was going on at Stanford, that Phil Zimbardo realized that he had gone too far and that he needed to stop the experiment. These are two good lessons we can learn form the SPE: always be seeking balance, and always seek out and value different – even opposing – points of view.

Seraphim
      Participant

Multiple times throughout my career as an elementary and high school teachers, and as a school principal.

Yaneth
      Participant

Yes but it’s so bad when you apply this experiment to any one if you are the person that have knowledge of it immediately you can realize that put down other human being is to put yourself down, in so point of my life I fell this experiment vice versa in public when is to get some information of the public authorities.

Viewing 6 posts - 7 through 12 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.