Discuss

Gil Shir

Share your insights and impressions from this lesson with fellow students.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
      Gustavo Perraillon
      Participant

Hi hi

In the course Learn to Read Hebew from Scratch: Modern and… The section read from The Bible minute 5:46 I have this two inquiries:

Does the first underline word it should be vav with ah sound? I and the second underlined  kaf should also be pronounced with ah sound?

Thks very much. Keep the great work.

Tracy
      Participant

Why is the Da’at mentioned in some Sefirot’s and not in others?

Tracy
      Participant

ha posel bemumo posel sounds like the idiom, “The pot calling the kettle black.”

Tracy
      Participant

After learning the standard Israel Biblical pronunciations, I find it hard at times with some words. Ashkenazi is very different from traditional Hebrew spoken in Israel. For instance, it is Yod instead of Yud. There is a difference when you use a Kamatz Katan verses a Kamatz Gadol. Typical Ashkenazi is that they just use the Kamatz Katan all the time. Also, there is a difference between the silent Sh’va and the moving Sh’va. So many times, I am hearing Gil just pronounce the letter. Like if it is a Shin with a Sh’va at the beginning of the word I was taught to pronounce it Sheh very quickly. But I am hearing it just as SH. So, a few differences. However, I do find it good to quickly practice the words. I think this would have been very hard for me still if I hadn’t been studying it.

rosemarie tropf
      Participant

Hello:

How important is it to know the roots of the words?  Should  I learn them as thoroughly as I learned the alphabet?  Thank you.

Rosemarie,
        This will help you a lot.  If you have the time and desire, learning the roots of the words will help you identify and see a myriad of connections.
        For example חבר Haver means friend.  חיבור Hibur means connection.
        Another example שלם Shalem means whole.  שלום means peace.  Even לשלם means to pay (to make whole).
        Seth@KabU

rosemarie tropf
      Participant

I asked a question last week about lesson 12 and nobody has answered me yet FYI.  The practice sheet for Yud was the wrong practice sheet.  It says lesson 1 on  it and it is practicing Bet etc.  There is no Yud practice on it.  There is also no cheat sheet for pronunciation and I would like that as I  am having trouble with Y with dagesh.  Thank you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.