Where exactly is your free will? Can you identify where it is real and where it is an illusion?

New Home Forums Course Forums Perceiving Reality Course 2. Perception of Reality Where exactly is your free will? Can you identify where it is real and where it is an illusion?

Viewing 6 posts - 151 through 156 (of 164 total)
  • Author
    Replies
      Abraham Alebachew
      Participant

My free will is solely the choice of my environment.

tefo bogosi
      Participant

Choosing what I feed myself through the five senses. The freedom to choose between being a slave to my ego or being the ruler of my ego.

Michael
      Participant

My free will is in my mind. I can choose the thoughts I embrace, along with my attitude and reaction to what is occurring around me. It’s not always feasible to be able to change my external environment physically, or even the individuals I come into contact with. However, my decisions and actions  can also have an impact on the perceptions of those around me.

J Nash
      Participant

Although many of our hormonal and emotional reactions are based off of our genetics and our upbringing, we can alter our epigenome, or the regulation system that turns gene expression on and off, through our choices and our intent towards outside stimuli. We can choose what knowledge we accumulate, our environment, and to some extent to overcome our default reactions to outside stimuli.

Francisco
      Participant

It was said, that we exercise free will when we choose our environment. But even of that I am not sure. I have rarely felt in my life that I actually possess real free will. Perhaps it is me who actually lacks real willpower and thus feel lost. I don’t know.

TH Christian
      Participant

We exercise our free will only in the choice of our environment, in the choice of who we have as friends, and in the choice of books we read (or movies we watch etc). It is an illusion to think we have a choice in our individual behaviors,  since these are products of genetics and upbringing.

Viewing 6 posts - 151 through 156 (of 164 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.