Before we dive in, introduce yourself and share your thoughts on the topic: Why does such a small fraction of the human family draws so much attention? Why do so many people have such a gut level reaction to “The Jews”?

New Home Forums Course Forums The World, the Jews and the Science of Human Survival INTRODUCTION Before we dive in, introduce yourself and share your thoughts on the topic: Why does such a small fraction of the human family draws so much attention? Why do so many people have such a gut level reaction to “The Jews”?

Before we dive in, introduce yourself and share your thoughts on the topic: Why does such a small fraction of the human family draws so much attention? Why do so many people have such a gut level reaction to “The Jews”?

Viewing 6 posts - 37 through 42 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Replies
      Olusegun Olusakin
      Participant

I am Olusegun Olusakin from Nigeria. I want to know what all the noise about the Jews are in the Middle East, and despite they are not perturbed! 

Seraphim
      Participant

Shalom!

I am extremely keen on doing this course because all my life I have had an intensely emotional, fraught, yet highly ambiguous attitude about myself as both a Jew and not a Jew.

You could say that I am one of those human duckbill platypuses, if you will, who straddles the line between two (cultural) species.

According to Orthodox religious determinations, I am clearly not a Jew because my mother was a gentile. However, since my father can be considered a Jew according to a rabbinic court (and the State of Israel)  – my maternal Russian grandmother having been a full-blooded Ashkenazi Jewess from an assimilated, bourgeois family who had converted to Christianity in Imperial Russia, my paternal line is strongly Jewish … but only racially! If you saw the nose on my dad (not to mention my Babushka), as well as their other facial features, and even their whole attitude to life in general, you would not see anything but a pure Jew.

Moreover, culturally I have considered myself fully Jewish. “How can I be an anti-semite when some of my best friends are Jews?” Isn’t that right? Because all of my most important relationships and cultural, artistic, literary, and philosophical proclivities lean toward Yiddishkeit, there can be little doubt the lion’s share of what makes me “me” is Jewish. And even though a rabbinic court would refuse to recognize me as a Jew, I have always felt the “Jewish soul” stirring in me.

I guess the perfect emblem of my conflicted relationship with myself as both a Jew and not a Jew is the fact that I am circumcised, not by a mohel, but rather by a gentile Navy doctor back in 1967 when it circumcision was recommended as a “hygienic” medical procedure for all male newborns in the U.S.A.

So, in light of all of the above, you can imagine how excited and thrilled I was to learn about the way that the Wisdom of Kabbalah defines a Jew. The fact that being a true Jew, for the Wisdom of Kabbalah, comes down to the essential spiritual quality of yearning and working for true unity among friends – this is the best news I think that I could have ever received … better even than any Christmas present or Chanukah geld. 🙂

Hinei ma tov umanaim shevet achim gam yachad!

Williams
      Participant

I want to know more about the Jews function

ORLANDO
      Participant

Hi Friends

My name is Orlando Marrero. I live in Puerto Rico and filled with joy as we dive into this course. Jews are known in the entire planet as  ” The People of the Book ” Let this course begin.

Nancy
      Participant

Hi. I’m Nancy. I’m very grateful to be here. Best to all

Raie
      Participant

Hi, I posted an answer here but it was deleted even though it was not foul. I have to see you more than once you guys moderated me out. If I’m wrong sorry. Otherwise groovy. Peace

Viewing 6 posts - 37 through 42 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.